Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Process of "Stepping Out of the Box" through Imagery

This picture was taken in August of, 2006 at Minute Maid Park in Houston. It was the first time i'd ever been there, but there was another first I got to witness as well - Andy Pettit's first career home run!



It was definitely a very male dominated atmosphere, and I went with 4 other males. If you notice my posture - it's upright, chest out, eyes straight into the camera, and no emotion on my face. Which to many would be considered the norm. I just reverted to looking through all my facebook friends and the majority of the pictures were very similar to this photo, in that there was hardly any expression on the faces of the men. Men are taught as they grow up not to express emotions or show feelings. There were also a couple with hands up in the air, and a couple of guys working out. There were only a few pictures of just guys that carried smiles, but the majority of the guys expressing any kind of joy, or emotion were accompanied by a female or a child. As Jackson Katz says, "being a so called "real man" you have to take on this "Tough Guise" in other words, you have to show the world only certain parts of yourself that the dominant culture has defined as manly"
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3exzMPT4nGI) - I would say especially if alone. I think it's so ingrained into the male mentality that when acting out this "tough guise" it is seldom consciously. Imagery plays a huge part on our perceptions of what it means to "be a man" growing up as a boy. It also portrays views of what norms are to be "a woman" to our little girls. Through various forms including TV, Magazines, Video's, Cell Phones, Computers, Advertisement, Games, etc.

I took this picture about two years later, I would say 6 months in on educating myself on traditional beliefs, attitudes, & behaviors about social norms and what it means to be a man & how these beliefs affect women. In this picture, I seem rather unsure of how to feel about myself. I had just dyed my hair, which typically isn't looked at as a "man" thing to do. Although, I starting dying my hair in high school. There is a little bit of expression trying to come out, but seems to cease at the point of uncertainty.
As a man, going against traditional beliefs of what it means to "be a man" can be a very difficult. Gender codes are rarely noticed until broken, then they get ridiculed to the extent that it's easier not to go against them. Whether suble or blatant conformity through imagery is very present, via gender display. If you notice in the picture that i'm in a more passive position; looking up at the camera & seemingly powerless; which would be considered a feminine pose by norms, although it's merely a photo.




This last photo was taken in the summer of 2009. As you can see I look quiet relaxed, have a smile on my face, and enjoying life. (Note: I was at a car show which had a dominant male popluation, and along with a male dominated atmosphere.)
The difference in this photo is that it's lacking the essential "guise" that seems to be incorporated into men and displayed in the first photo. With about two years of self-examination and making conscious change I can say I've stepped out of the traditional "man box" feeling like a complete different person. Trying to live up to traditional masculinity was a weight on my shoulders that I didn't even realize was accompanying me in everyday life. By stepping out of the box, it doesn't mean that you can't still participate in regular activities. Simply, just observe your behaviors, don't repress emotions, and don't accept other men's negative behaviors - especially towards women. If you watched the youtube video by Jackson Katz, (posted above) you're aware of what box I'm talking about stepping out of. Posture, could also be considered as a front that men may feel they have to put on. I think the most contempary term for it would be "hard." If you look in advertisements, the men's posture & poses mostly portray this same sort of "guise" no matter what form it takes place. (strong, assertive, dominant, powerfull, in control etc.)

Imagery can be beautiful, and often is. Whether home made photo's or picture in a magazine, the images they display can be wonderful to the eyes. We have to understand that images also have a damaging affects as well. We're often oblivious to the fact of images portraying negativity, because they're so normalized in society. So, I urge you - look past what you're actually looking at when it comes to images, specifically adverstisement and any imagery that sexualizes & objectifies women!


http://www.stepupagainstviolence.com/

5 comments:

  1. Hey! Good post. I think that women too have a "guise" we put on whether it's having to do with our gender or just hiding our emotions from the world. There is just a lot of fakeness out there, but we've learned early on the world is not a safe place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jennette! You're absolutely right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post J! Thank you for sharing your transformation. It is a beautiful thing to watch!!! Go brotha go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Ted! Means a lot, especially since you're truly an inspiration to me, and helped create the transformation that took place! I can't say it enough, Thanks again!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was very thought provoking and insightful! I have always been aware of the poses and women's guises, but had never given much thought to the male guises, and you are absolutely right, so many men do feel the need to adopt this guise. Thank you for making me think!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers